Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Best Damn Broccoli EVER

Tonight I tried out a couple of new recipes...sorry I didn't take any step by step pictures but it was late and I didn't have time to grab the camera.

First off I tried Gluten Free Chicken Fingers. They turned out okay, but I believe that was my fault. It calls for 1-2 inches of coconut oil in the pan and I was a cheap a$$ (Since Virgin Coconut Oil is $40/jar) and only used a few tablespoons. So they didn't exactly "fry" correctly and most of the toppings fell off anytime I went to turn a piece. BUT, in the end they still had great flavor even if I had to scrape the good stuff out of the pan and drop it on top of the chicken.

Next for my side I went with a new roasted broccoli recipe I found via Pinterest from the website of Amateur Gourmet. OH MY BUH-JESUS! They are not lying that this is the best broccoli you will EVER have. I usually have a hard time choking down broccoli unless it is slathered in cheese or some other sauce. The recipe is adapted from Barefoot Contessa's, Back To Basics cookbook.




My version:

4-5lbs Fresh Broccoli (I got two large bunches)
3 tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp Coarse Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper to taste
5-6 cloves garlic, sliced
1 small lemon
1/3 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

Preheat the oven to 425° and line a cookie sheet with foil. The key to the recipe: DO NOT WASH THE BROCCOLI. The oven will kill any excess germs, trust me. You want the broccoli to be completely dry or it will not brown well. If you NEED to wash the broccoli, go OCD on it when drying it.Cut the broccoli into large florets. You want your pieces large otherwise your broccoli will shrivel up into nothing.

Put the broccoli onto the cookie sheet and toss with coconut oil, salt and pepper. Pour in the sliced garlic and toss gently.

Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the broccoli is crisp-tender and some of the florets have started to brown. {I only went for 20 minutes}

Remove the pan from the oven and squeeze the lemon over the entire pan. Top with Parmesan cheese.

Serve while hot and just try not to eat the entire pan! I swear you will never try another recipe after this one.

1 comment:

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic said...

Mmm, I really enjoy roasted broccoli. You can do the same thing with cauliflower. Even my veggie-hating husband will eat the roasted broccoli.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...