Thursday, February 10, 2011

French's Crunchy Onion Chicken - UTCized

So, before I decided to make a lifestyle change we bought a HUGE bag of French's French Fried Onions from Sam's (that should tell you how big the bag is.).  Any who, I was rearranging the bakers rack and I thought to myself, what the heck am I going to do with this enormous bag of fried onions??? I happened to notice a decent recipe on the back; French's Crunchy Onion Chicken. I whipped it up and was in love. It was so scrumptious and tender and juicy, well I could go on.

Then it dawned on me. There has to be a way to make it "better." I mean you have to use an egg so that the onions stick to it, but there the whole cholesterol issue. So tonight I broke it down and figured I'd make it MY way, the Up The Creekized way (UTCized). So enjoy my take on this amazing dish. I love it and will be making it this way from now until eternity!

For the original recipe click the link above. For my improved recipe, see below.

Ingredients:

2 cups (4 oz.) FRENCH'S® Original or Cheddar French Fried Onions
2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
4 Tyson frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts (approx 8-10oz each), cut lengthwise to make two pieces each
1/4 cup Egg beaters

Directions:

Place French Fried Onions and flour into plastic bag. Lightly crush with hands or with rolling pin. Transfer to pie plate or waxed paper.
Dip chicken into egg; then coat with onion crumbs, pressing firmly to adhere. Place chicken on baking sheet.
Bake at 400°F for 20 min. or until no longer pink in center.


Easy fix right? Now here's the truth of it. One chicken breast (or at least the ones we buy from Sam's) is enough to feed TWO people. Hence the reason I split them. This makes 8 servings versus 4 from the original recipe. The egg beaters removes the added cholesterol from the mix, and the unbleached wheat flour is healthier for you. Want more proof?

Original Recipe
Calories = 360
Carbs = 32g
Total Fat = 19g
Protein = 13 g
Sodium = 225 mg
Cholesterol = 131 mg

New Recipe
Calories = 156
Carbs = 5g
Total Fat = 4g
Protein = 24 g
Sodium = 304 mg
Cholesterol = 55 mg

The only trade off is the amount of sodium in egg beaters... Otherwise it's perfect in my book!

**I am not a nutritionist, and these were merely calculated using My Fitness Pal's recipe calculator. The above picture was sourced from French's website. I forgot to take a pic cause it was so yummy.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...