Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Rockin Replica - Chicken Salad with Fruit


Last Friday we were out and about gathering up the last minute items for Baby Boy's birthday party. There we were in the grocery store and I was HUNGRY! Now as most of you know, hunger and grocery stores don't mix. Luckily I had my wits about me and stopped by the deli cold case to see what nutritious nuggets they might have that would keep me from buy a box of corn dogs and a jumbo bag of Reece's peanut butter cups for dinner.

I was eyeing the salads and what to my wandering eye appeared...an Archer Farms Chicken Salad with Summer Fruit. Hmmm....Now for some reason I'd never thought to drop yummy sweet fruit on top of a bed of leafy greens, let alone one with chicken on it. So we made our way home and busted out this little slice of heaven and was not disappointed one bit. As I was chowing down I made sure to pay close attention to the ingredient list should I want another salad. Am I ever glad I did.

My only problem in replicating it is that I haven't been able to find goat cheese. It had two of these small medallion slices of "goat cheese" as it was labeled. It was similar in consistency to that of cream cheese, but a smite drier. Of course while grocery shopping yesterday I forgot to check the organic section, so I'm in still on the hunt. Otherwise this is what the salad contained:

A leafy bed of romaine and baby spinach
1 to 2 ounces of grilled chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 medallions of goat cheese
Fresh Blueberries
Fresh Strawberries
A 1 to 2 oz side of Poppy Seed Dressing

All of that for around 250 calories!

Replicating it isn't too hard. Tonight I didn't have the chicken, nor wanted to take the time to cook any so I tossed on a couple slices of turkey lunch meat instead. I also sprinkled on some Parmesan cheese, which wasn't too bad, but I probably with fore go doing that again. I also added some green grapes, and used a tablespoon of Kraft Creamy Poppyseed dressing. Delish!

On another note, WHY OH WHY didn't some one tell me sooner how awesome and amazing Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are??? Holy heavens, they are the perfect to fill that sweet spot.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...