Wednesday, July 3, 2013

How Do You Do It -- Part 1

 photo QuestionsAnswered_zps8a2b5a97.jpg
First off, I have hid this blog for so long from so many of my friends, and I never realized how many of them are in the same boat as me. Why have I kept this part of my life hidden? Embarrassment? Denial? Not wanting to feel judged?

For longest time I have only let a select few group of friends in on my "secret blog." But as time is progressing I can see how I can use this as an opportunity to inspire others in their own journey's. To help them out by sharing what I've been through. Perhaps there's that missing piece of their own puzzle hidden among my picture strewn blog?

So, I will no longer hide this blog from the world. I have now added my blog link to my Instagram account in hopes others will find their way here.

So to kick off this series of "How Do You Do It" I want to start with a question from a close friend from high school:

I've got a couple of questions for you. My wife is trying to lose weight, but she isn't having any success with her diets. She has started a couch to 5k program, but has had no results in weight loss or any inches lost. Can you give me any ideas to help her out? What foods you make etc? You've done such a good job over the last year I figured you might have some pointers?

Absolutely!!! Food is the number one priority when it comes to losing weight. What you consume determines how your body is able to rid itself of fat. So the saying "You can't out exercise a bad diet." is 100% true.

Personally I started with Weight Watchers in March of 2012. I did great up until I took up Weight Lifting and didn't compensate for the excess calories I was burning, so I was under eating.

I am still with Weight Watchers but I don't follow their program 100% as they push fat free this and sugar free that... and it is NOT a healthy way to go (I've done the research and urge others to do so for themselves). But their system for tracking points versus calories is my lifeline. Counting calories has never been any good for me, but counting nutrition content seems to work for me.

I've found myself primarily clean eating (I'd say 90% of the time I eat clean...I still treat myself from time to time with non-clean treats). This means little to no processed (boxed/frozen/fast/cheap/commercially fried) foods and a LOT of fresh produce, vegetables, lean meats, red meats and healthy fats (butter, coconut oil, olive oil, raw milk).

I will say it's an evolution. If she tries to go all out in the beginning it may become so overwhelming she gives up. I know in the beginning I became very, very, very frustrated because I wasn't sure how to eat properly. It's definitely a learning process.

My process goes like this: bulk shop at Sam's once a month to get the meats, and veggies/produce that I will use that they carry. Then I shop weekly for produce and fruits as we run low.

With that said my grocery list usually contains these staple items (not all the same time):

Proteins
-Natural Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
-93/7 Lean Ground Turkey
-90/10 Lean Ground Angus Beef
-Swai Filets
-Tilapia Filets
-Fresh Salmon
-Soy/Grain Free Farm Eggs (Local Farmer)
-Raw Cows Milk (Local Farmer)
-Black Beans
-Tuna in Water
-Ahi Tuna Filets
-Greek Yogurt
-Cheese Sticks
-Organic Whole Fat Yogurt
-Protein Powder (I use this when I'm in a pinch or for late night work outs so I can make it to breakfast the next morning. Optimum Gold Standard Whey and Optimum Gold Standard Casein)

Fibrous Veggies
-Organic Spinach
-Organic Spring Mix
-Romaine
-Broccoli
-Asparagus
-Bell Peppers
-Cauliflower
-Brussel Sprouts
-Green beans
-Squash
-Zucchini
-Cucumber
-Green Onion (Scallions)
-Baby Carrots
-Jicama

Complex/Starchy Carbohydrates
-Old-fashioned Oatmeal
-Whole Wheat Couscous
-Whole Wheat Orzo
-Quinoa
-Sweet potato
-Yam
-Whole Wheat Bread (I like Ezekiel bread -- Frozen Foods in the Health Section, but lately am more fond of Farm To Market 8 Grain Bread, locally made sold at Price Chopper)
-Brown Rice

Healthy Fat Options:
-Natural peanut butter or almond butter (only ingredient should read peanuts or almonds, there should be oil on top, low/no sodium). Personally I love Maranatha Organic Almond Butter, but I really have to watch myself or I can eat an entire jar in a couple of days...it's rather addictive.
-Olive oil
-Coconut Oil (Make sure it's high quality and from a reputable source. Personally I will only buy from Tropical Traditions online as it's made in small batches by small farmers and not chemically processed like most of what you find in stores) http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm
-Grass Fed Butter (Such as Kerrygold, personally I make butter from the raw milk I purchase. It takes a whopping 20 minutes while the mixer does the work.)
-Almonds
-Walnuts
-Pistachios
-Avocado

Fruit:
-Apples
-Grapes
-Blueberries
-Raspberries
-Strawberries
-Pineapple
-Mango
-Peaches
-Plums
-Lemons (for water & fish)

Condiments:
-Balsamic Vinegar (Please, go visit Heavenly Olive Oils in Zona Rosa... best selection, highest quality and their products are not cut with soy oil like what you can buy in the grocery stores)
-Salsa
-Chili powder
-Mrs Dash (Salt free versions if you can)
-Mustard
-Cinnamon
-Local Raw Honey

Beverages
-Water
-Green Tea
-Herbal Teas


GMO HATER NOTE:

For the LOVE OF GOD, do NOT use Pam Non-stick cooking spray. There are so many chemical additives and GMO's.... BLECH!!!


Great Resources for Clean Eating:

http://muffin-topless.com/nutrition

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating/



I'm sorry for the length of this, but I have found that this is a subject I've grown very passionate about. By all means, should either of you have further questions please let me know. I'd be glad to help in any way I can!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...