Monday, March 26, 2012

Reluctant, C25K

So, I'm rather hesitant to post about this. Why? Because it seems that anytime I blog about my small victories I personally destroy everything I had been doing and become dormant. Why do I do this to myself? I don't know. But right now I feel that I need to put something down on virtual paper.

About two months ago I downloaded the free Couch to 5K app. I had every intent to start using it the next day. Uh...yeah that didn't happen. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I went to my hubby's Krav Maga class. The kids were acting up so I took them outside to walk up and down the strip mall. I had my camera in hand and had been snapping pics of baby girl. I turned around and saw my reflection in the window. From that point forward I was pissed. I was disgusted. I was upset with myself. No one else, just me. I was frustrated with my hubby though because he's been physically active, whereas I've been sitting on the couch.

I made a vow, no more. I cannot live like this. It's not all about the looks, but how I feel and I feel miserable; both physically and mentally. So I decided that I had to get back on the wagon and trudge forward. So last week, I think, my hubs decided to take the kiddos to the park and let me go for a run by myself. I was actually kind of pumped. I mean, hey it's "me" time, all alone, no kids whining in the stroller. And then it hit me... I need to use my C25K program. And I did just that.

I must say that first jaunt back into running was both torturous and absolutely amazing. I hurt, I ached, I huffed and puffed. But when all was said and done, I mentally felt amazing. I was tickled. I loved the prompts that the program gives. There was no guessing if I'd walked too long or ran too short of a distance. The program tells you what to do and when. It also lets you play your music at the same time.

I've only found one downside to the program. If you crank your music up, like I do to drown out the sound of my huffing and puffing, it's very difficult to hear the prompts even when the "voice" is turned up to its maximum. So today I kept the volume at a "reasonable" level and heard every prompt perfectly.

Today was my third day of the program, but apparently I goofed something up last time and it started me over on day two. But no biggie. The point of the program is to slowly improve your ability to run a distance without stopping, or being able to run a 5K in eight weeks.

But as far as a goal for me? I'm not sure. I don't really have a goal per se, just trying to get back into the habit of running on a regular basis. Building back up the muscle tone I've lost and continuing forward on my journey to get healthy. If you're looking for a free program that will help you, I suggest C25K.

As for my "mental" issues, guess I'll have to see what becomes of it. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...