Thursday, September 20, 2012

Turkey Burgers with Zucchini

Web_BSP_5244


I found this gem of a recipe over at Skinnytaste.com. If you haven't visited Gina's website, it is a MUST for the serious Weight Watcher. Tons of fabulous recipes and nutrition & Points Plus calculations are included!


Turkey Burgers with Zucchini
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 5 • Size: 1 burger no bun  Old Points: 3 pts (bun extra)  Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 156 • Fat: 6.8 g  Protein: 18.6 g  Carb: 5.5 g  Fiber: 1.3 g

Ingredients:  
  • 1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
  • 1 small zucchini, grated 
  • 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
  • 1 clove garlic, grated
  • 1 tbsp red onion, grated
  • salt and fresh pepper
  • oil spray 

Directions: 

    In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Make 5 equal patties.



    Heat a large skillet on high heat. When hot, lightly spray oil. Add burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook on one side until browned, then flip. Flip over a few times to prevent burning and to make sure the burgers are cooked all the way through.



    If grilling, clean grill well before cooking and spray with oil spray to prevent sticking. 


    Web_BSP_5188

    Web_BSP_5203

    Web_BSP_5248

    Web_BSP_5263

    So, I'm sure you're wondering how they were? They were pretty darn awesome! Obviously I used white onion instead of red, because that's what I had on hand. I also threw on some reduced fat pepper jack because what's a burger without cheese? Throw it on a whole wheat bun and we're in business. And I opted for cucumber "chips" as my side. I made those easy enough with my crinkle fry cutter for fun.

    Now, the burgers themselves, I had a HARD time keeping them together. I believe this issue was the moisture from the zucchini. So, next time I try them (yes there will be a next time) I will be wringing the excess moisture out of the zucchini before adding it into the meat. 

    They were yummy enough that the kidlets even devoured them!

    This is my official entry for this week's mini challenge!

    Thunder Thighs Fit & Fabulous Fall Challenge

    Week Two's Mini Challenge is:

    Week two - Try a new healthy food or recipe. I hope everyone gives it a shot, it'll be fun to try something different. 

    3 comments:

    ThunderThighs said...

    Those look so delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

    Lovebug6100 said...

    That sounds yummy - I still have to find a recipe for this week - I'm thinking of trying something for tomorrow, though I made a fridge soup last Sunday and haven't eaten that yet either! Keep up the great work!!

    Fat Girls Closet said...

    Those look amazing!! I love Skinny Taste.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...