Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Healthy Pepperoni Pizza


So, this review is two-fold. Reason being, I couldn't/didn't find prepared whole-wheat pizza dough at our local store. Luckily EatingWell had a recipe for it, and I would much rather make the dough myself any way. First I'll start with the dough.

The dough is very easy to make, however it only calls for 3/4 cup water and it wasn't quite enough. So as I was kneading the dough I had to sprinkle more water on it until I could get the dough to form. Even after doing that it appears I needed to add more water than what I did as the dough came out a little "stiff." Otherwise I have no complaints about this uber easy recipe.

For the pizza....mmmm pizza, sorry where was I? My opinion is that the pizza is a healthy substitute to the norm. However, it doesn't taste like your everyday fat, cheese and pepperoni loaded, yummy pizzeria pizza. The sauce was nummy, it had a nice garlic zing to it and you can't taste the pumpkin at all. Also, one can of pumpkin and one can of tomato sauce makes 3 batches of pizza sauce, so I now have 2 reserved in the freezer. I like the taste of the pepperoni turkey and it isn't as salty tasting as regular pepperoni. Quite frankly Baby Girl has been very picky as of late so I wasn't holding my breath. She ended up eating an entire slice by herself, mixed in with blueberries for encouragement. Definitely a winner in my book.

I  give it four out of five apples. 



 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...