Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tex-Mex Taco Salad


I'm a sucker for Rancho Grande's Taco Salad...LOADED with fat. I really thought finding a replacement would be challenging. We tried out the Tex-Mex Taco Salad and I have to say I'm impressed.

The picture above is deceiving as I didn't "assemble" the salad by the book, so the meat is partially hiding under the pile of lettuce. But rest assured, it was a significant portion. Secondly I didn't toss the lettuce in the sour cream/salsa mixture because I have a whiny hubby who refuses to eat sour cream. Little does he know there's still some in the meat, hee hee. So I just plopped a small portion on top of my lettuce and it's being hidden by the cheese.

There isn't much I'd change, but here's what I did; I added an extra clove or two of garlic because I'm a garlic lover. I also tossed in some cayenne pepper because it didn't have that flavor and spice I was looking for. I agree with the reviews on the website above that it lacks a little flavor, but I decided that adding cayenne was a compromise rather than adding taco seasoning which defeats the purpose of this recipe due to the sodium content. It was still a smidge blah until I added the sour cream/salsa mixture to the meat. After that taste test I was hooked. I loved it. I actually can't wait for my left overs tomorrow!


I give it four out of five apples. 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...