Sunday, April 3, 2011

Homemade Taco Salad Shell


If you haven't checked out my review on Eating Well's Tex-Mex Taco Salad I suggest you do so. It's a really great recipe.

Now, usually when I make this dish I eat Tostito's Multi-grain chips with it. They're good, however you don't get very many for the amount of calories in one serving. Also, a few days ago another blog I follow did this same thing, but for the life of me I cannot find the post. :(

So here's my version of a homemade taco salad shell.

I used Mission's Medium 96% fat-free whole wheat tortilla's (130 calories each). I had three left in my fridge and they needed to be used, so what better way?

Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.

Take your shells and wrap them in a dampened paper towel. Place them in the microwave for 30 seconds. This moistens them up and makes them more pliable when molding them to your dish for the oven.

Next take the "steamed" shells and place them over and OVEN PROOF bowl, mug or dish of choice, place them on a cookie sheet. As you can see below my shells are old enough that even after being moistened they still cracked while being place over my jelly jars. But trust me, it doesn't affect the taste.


Place the cookie sheet in your 375 degree oven for 6-8 minutes. You want your shells to be stiff, but not browned or burnt. Pull the shells out of the oven and let them rest on the container for a few minutes before removing to a plate.

Fill your homemade taco salad shell up with your Tex-Mex fixings and chow down. Yummy, and much better than commercial taco shells or salad bowls!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...